Thursday, June 01, 2006

Getting there

Getting close now. Only 11 more days left to work, the contracts have arrived, the transcripts have arrived, we're going tonight to get some predicably frightful passport-type photos taken, and if we can ever figure out how UPS or Fedex work, we'll be sending everything off to Korea tomorrow. Yesterday I had my first round of jabs. I am now free to swim in contaminated water and drink straight from the tap. I've also had Hepatitis A and B, just have to go back for a couple of boosters before we fly. Disconcertingly, when I told the nurse where I was going, she clapped her hands over her face in horror, before scurrying next door to consult her books. After she'd popped her head back round the door for the second time to check the name of the country we were going to, I came to the conclusion she was probably consulting an atlas. She finally re-entered clutching a handful of syringes, before proceeding to dither about whether I needed the Japananese Encephalitis too. According to the leaflet she handed me, this is a 'life-threatenng virus which affects the brain, spread by mosquitoes during the rainy seaon' - so something you probably wouldn't say no to being immune to then. Anyway, she was distrubingly relieved to find that regardless of whether I should have it, I was actually too late to be starting the Encephalitis course anyhow, so it was just tough. Slap on plenty of insect repellant and don't go too rural, were her reassuring parting words to me. Thanks.

No comments: