Monday, December 11, 2006

Shannon's Flight

Shannon Soesbe left us today. She's heading back home for a few weeks before setting off on her next adventure to go teach English in Turkey. Korea I think just wasn't her cup of tea, but she gave it six months, which is a fair shot. Though I never got to know her half as well as I'd have liked, she will be missed. Her absence will leave this place a shade less colourful than it was, and I wish her all the best. One final story before we say goodbye, though. Because I've been to the airport and back a couple of times (for Katie's visit and Emma's own departure) Shannon asked me if I'd mind nipping into Suyu with her on Sunday to point out where she needed to catch the airport bus. Of course I was happy to oblige, but since I'd spent most of the day shopping, I suggested that it would be easier if I just went with her (and Daniel) this morning instead, which would mean I got to wave her off, too. Woken up by my alarm at the unholy hour of 8:45am, with a streaming nose and the beginnings of another sore throat, I kinda wished I'd just shown her yesterday, but dragged myself up nonetheless. After a final lap around the building a teary goodbye or two, we set off to grab a taxi. It's still not entirely clear what happened, but I believe it was the security guards kindly ordering a taxi for us that kicked off the ensuing madness. It quickly became apparent that we were not on the way to Suyu (though maybe not as quickly as it might've been, as Daniel and I were wedged on the back seat under Shannon's suitcases and couldn't really see a thing). When quizzed, the driver said that he was taking us to Gireum Station, rather that Suyu Station as we assumed had been sorted out when security had spoken to him. Despite us protesting many many times - Aniyo! Suyu! - the cabbie was unrelenting. Indeed, he seemed to rather enjoy the power he had over us. He kept muttering in Korean, and all we could really make out was Gireum, about 15 minutes out of our way. I found it all ridiculously funny, but Shannon was getting seriously riled. 'Suyu, motherf***ing retard!' I believe she was beseeching him at one point (to be fair she had a plane to catch in a couple of hours, and we were in effect being hijacked), but to no avail, the cabbie just laughed and carried on. After a few attempts, Daniel managed to get a Korean member of our school's staff on the phone to talk to our kidnapper and clarify the situation. It seems that between them, the cabbie and security guards had decided that the traffic would be too busy around Suyu so had opted on an ulterior plan. Never mind that nobody had asked or even informed us of this, or the fact the Shannon had been wanting to go to the bank in Suyu first, we're just dumb foreigners after all. To his credit, he did eventually deposit us at a appropriate bus stop, and after a twenty minute wait in the freezing cold, we said our final goodbyes, and she was gone. Bye, Shannon.

No comments: