Sunday, August 19, 2007

10 Memories of Korea that make me feel warm and fuzzy inside


1 Dinners in my room with Christa and Mary. I should say cooked by Christa and Mary, my job being to supply us with tableclothes stolen from the theatre classroom and clean up the carnage afterwards. With a one-hob kitchen it was tricky, but we always made it work. Wine, soju, sake, and dancing into the wee hours afterwards. I never expected to enjoy Christmas day as much as I did, being so far from home and having to work.

2 Salsa - the classes me and Emma gave up in the dance studio on Sunday nights, to our little band of faithful students, and the nights at Bahia when we put them into practice, particularly Emma's leaving night, after all the locals had cleaned out at the sight of us, and the barman supplied us with cowbells and bongos.

3 Chuseok Japan trip with Christa and Amy. In particular our food crawls - I'm thinking the sushi and okonomiyaki nights - and drinking copious amounts of sake and plum wine in our lodges and laughing for no reason.

4 Singing, in many places: In the norae bangs any night of the week of course; I also have fond memories of the karaoke night we stumbled upon at a bar down the road, that we meant to go back to and now never will, where every table had to sing one song each. Christa, Rob and I sang All I want for Christmas, beautifully but in three different keys. I also have to include Rob and I gatecrashing and singing Radiohead's Creep at a Korean wedding reception.

5 Playing cards and dice over at Shawn and Mel's place. Nertz, farkel, Manatoba Farmers. By the time they left to go to Suwon, it had somehow grown into a nightly thing, though I only went over a handful of times. This was during mine and Emma's period of neverending nightshift. I don't remember why I didn't go more often.

6 Poker nights, every Wednesday in the pool class. We started out hosting it in our alternate rooms, but it soon grew to popular for that. I must've won three times in all the time we played. Of course, since the buy-in amounted to less than three pounds, it was never any great loss.

7 Korean lesson with Christa, and Mary too, at the end. It's quite likely that I'll have forgotten half of what I learned when I get home, and I'll rarely have need for the rest when back home, but I'll never regret giving it a try.

8 Although I think Japan tops the list of places I visited, so far anyway, I can't leave out the rest - Vietnam, Thailand, Gyeongju and the other areas of Korea I've visited. I think I could be persuaded to leave Cambodia out of the list.

9 I don't know for sure why I feel compelled to include this - perhaps just because I'd not had a bath for the best part of six months - and I only did it properly the one time last year, but I'll certainly never forget the (naked) Korean bath-house.

10 Seeing Muse live for the first time at Jamsil gymnasium. They were awesome. Best live band ever. Incidentally, I saw them again recently at Pentaport Rock Festival, Incheon, but the second time didn't compare to the first (they were an hour late and I, by choice, was half a mile away).

Disclaimer: this list is neither exhaustive nor definitive, but the fact that these things are the first that came to mind must mean something. Notice the absence of references to work, teaching, and children in the list.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

And at some point, I'll write something about Australia.

Anonymous said...

If I was one of your friends back in Korea I would be really touched by these thoughts. It brought a lump to my throat just reading it!

Unknown said...

I'm so pleased that Nertz made the list! Who would have ever thought that a game from Iowa would make it on to a favorites list of some English bloke? ;-) At any rate, one of my scariest memories is of playing Nertz in the Game Room area after hours...when you and Emma stood up the whole game in an attempt to beat me. I honestly thought Emma was going to lunge herself across the table at my throat!! :-) Ahhhh....good times!

Ryan said...

And I imagine you still totally whupped our asses...

Ronnie Ng said...

Hi Guys!

I'd like to introduce you to my debut light novel which will be available at all major bookstores in Singapore from this November. Make it part of your X'mas shopping items!

Story Synopsis:

Over fifty years ago, 60,000 people were killed during the 'Jeju Massacre' on Jeju island, South Korea, when the South Korean Army attempted to brutally suppress an armed insurrection by the people of Jeju.

The bodies of the victims - civilians,rebels, and soldiers alike - were sealed in a volcanic cave on Mount Halla to rest, or so it was hoped, in peace for all eternity.

However, decades later, some of these bodies were mysteriously resurrected as vampires and they are now doomed to roam the streets of Jeju seeking living human prey and continuing the battles that they once fought in life. Thus, the bitter feud between two mortal factions - The Regiments (former soldiers) and The Guerrillas (formal rebels) - has now become immortal.

Today, fifty years later, we meet Han Mirae, a young Korean girl who is caught in a love triangle between Jackie Chang, a swashbuckling vampire hunter from Singapore, and Shin Taewoo, a powerful vampire of the Guerrillas. And, we meet Lee Hyunsuk, the opal-eyed vampire of the Regiments, who abducts Mirae in order to set a trap to kill the other two.

Can Taewoo or Jackie save the girl in time? And who is Mirae's real love?

http://ronnieng.blogspot.com

An irresistible combination of adventure and romance with a supernatural twist, this "Korean Vampires" book series will surely keep you turning through the pages and stay riveted til the end.