Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Bye Bye Katie

After a fortnight full of adventures, Katie has left me. Well she actually left me more than 12 hours ago, but she won't touch down for a few more yet, poor girl. And since she'd used up all of the reading matter she brought with her, all she has to entertain on the flight is my mostly unread copy of Wuthering Heights. With the sheer bustle of Katie being here, I never got around to mentioning the mini-drama of Katie's 'eviction'. I haven't gotten around to mentioning a lot of things, but I'll start to rectify that now. We're only allowed to have guests stay with us for a paltry two nights at a time (though they may come back after a gap, as Katie did following her jaunt to Jeju Island last week). This is either because of the shocking amount of electricity that guests are presupposed to use, or 'to protect the children'. Either way stinks, so in protest, I neglected to sign Katie with security for the first couple of days, hoping that if they carried on being so lax, maybe I could spin out her term here a little longer. This was working fine until she went out on her own, and made the mistake of making eye contact with the guards. After a twenty minute interrogation (during which she tried repeatedly to call my mobile phone, which was switched off), I was summoned for an explanation. I had a bit of a hoo-ha with my boss, who was mostly just annoyed as I'd not given her the exact dates of Katie's visit, but it wasn't too big of a deal. Or it wouldn't've been had Katie not then stopped for a further three nights. When I let slip to Erin that Katie was still here on day six, she was mad. Senior teacher Braden came a-knocking at my door first thing next morning, basically saying that she had to leave ASAP. Hence the crappy (but cheap) cockroach-infested hostel she ended up in.

Having Katie living halfway across the city from me served as a blunt reminder as to how we used to have to live before mobile phones were invented. How did we ever get by? How did anyone of previous generations have social lives? Twice me and Katie were an hour late for meeting each other (she because she gt the time wrong, me when I overslept), and with no way to communicate we were left there twiddling our thumbs waiting impatiently for the other. Anyhow, it was great having her here, and I am sad to see her go, though at least I have finally been able to tidy up my bedroom. There's been stuff (hers and mine) lying around stressing me out for days. I've actually had a minor rearrangement of my room today; since I never watch my telly I've put it underneath my desk, which means, oh joy, that I can actually sit on a chair in front of my laptop rather than perching on the end on the end of my bed with a twisted nerve in my neck as usual.

Also don't forget to check out Katie's website for a few more pictures and a few fun videos which I never got around to posting myself.

Annyonghi kaseyo Katie.

Have you had rice?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seem to be feeling some sort of sadness since Katie left you Ryan. It is like the feeling I get at the end of a holiday, when you have to go home. Maybe it's because I got so involved in reading about the antics you both got up to. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it, I did! We now have your Japan trip to look forward to hearing about!

Anonymous said...

Re: Have you had rice?

Is that a translation of the words above (which I thought might mean bye bye Katie) or are you just asking us if we have had rice...?

Katie said...

Anyoung Hasseyo Ryan. No offense, but after couple months in the far east, I hope never to have rice again.

Don't ever come home by the way. I feel like James Frey coming down....maximum depressing.

On the other hand... I am just off to make a nice fat chedder sandwich on hovis...mmmmmmmm. Jelous?

Love the pictures!

Ryan said...

No, 'have you had rice?' or 'bap meogeosseoyo?' is a commonly used greeting that Katie spent two weeks failing to master. I think it's pronounced something like 'bap moh-kos-o-yo'.