Friday, September 15, 2006

Food

For nigh on three months I have been craving and resisting a certain chocolate dessert, Chocolate Thunder, in this Outback restaurant in town; tonight I went there finally with the singular intent of consuming said treat. Essentially a chocolate brownie piled high with vanilla ice cream and regular cream, I was most disappointed. Artificially cream, and I don't know what was up with the brownie but texturally it certainly lacked something. Give me frozen yoghurt and fruit any day. Most of the dinner conversation revolved around British/American/Canadian gastronomic differences. Everyone looked pretty aghast at the sight of me eating a piece of bread with a couple of fries on top, so of course we had to explain the whole chip butty concept. Potted beef seemed a bit alien to them too, although one of the Americans offered up the notion of something called a 'Solomon Gundy' (a pureed fish dish) prompting Emma to burst in to the rhyme, which nobody else had every heard of. Interestingly (if you're me), I've just pulled this from Wikipedia:

Solomon Grundy [the rhyme] is believed to have derived from the English food Salmagundi, which was integrated into the English language from the French in the 17th century, and is a salad of cooked meats, lettuce, anchovies and eggs, with other condiments. The name of the salad was corrupted in the 18th century to Solomon Gundy, particularly in the United States

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously no-one had ever heard the Soloman Grundy rhyme?! I don't know, kids today!!