Sunday, January 28, 2007

5 months to go

My contract officially ends in 5 months, at the beginning of July. I have no idea what I will do then, but neither do many other teachers, so at least I'm in good company. I'm certain that the time's just gonna fly by without me noticing, so I'll do try to do my best with the time I have left. The Lunar New Year is coming up soon, and rumour has it we'll be getting a day off work to celebrate, so hopefully we'll be using the long weekend to see some of the rest of Korea, maybe to Seoraksan Mountain on the East Coast, hopefully we can make it down to the South coast port city Busan, too. So the one New Year's resolution I made - to try and take more photos - has failed disastrously: I think I made it about eight days. I'll remake it again at Lunar New Year instead. See how long that lasts. I'm sure it's also been noticed that posts here are generally weekly rather than daily these days. That wasn't a conscious decision, so I don't know if it'll stay that way or not. From tomorrow I'm back on morning/day shift again for the first time in about 5 months, so my routine's gonna be completely flipped anyway, so anything could happen I guess. Right now I'm just focussing on whether I'll remember to get up in the morning. Since Friday was my last graduation for a while, I took my camera along, lest I forget the fun. Also, these Winter camp kids have been here for two weeks, so I got to know them better that you usually can. This last kid shook my hand every single time we crossed paths for two weeks straight. I later found out that he was doing it to everyone else too, so didn't feel quite so special after all. After graduation we went for a few drinks in Suyu with some of the Korean staff. Of course 'a few' swiftly escalated into 'a few tequila shots' (and precisely when that became habit I couldn't tell) so the rest of the night's pretty much a blur. Saturday daytime was mostly spent in recovery, but by nightfall we were ready to head back out was again, as our friend Kane was playing a set at a James Brown tribute night at a bar in Hongdae (the party zone in Seoul). There were around 10 bands, the idea (so far as I could gather) being that each had to play at least one James Brown cover each. Almost without exception all of the bands were quality acts - most were Korean but even the Korean songs were full of funk, I was very impressed. Plus, there were bongos! We didn't discover these until near the end of the night when everyone had started leaving (or was it just before?) but we wasted no time in finding the rhythm. God knows what the bands still trying to perform thought of our accompaniment though. Here's Kane anyhow, he enjoyed it: And here's a short video courtesy of Shawn. No prizes of course as to what we did after the show: But note that this time we tried a luxury Norebang for a change - not that you can tell here. I think luxury just means free percussion and ice cream, but what more could you possibly need?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ryan

The last seven months since your departure have surprisingly flown by. We have missed you alot but are so glad that you are having a great time over there.

No doubt you will encounter a few more memorable experiences before you return home.
We look forward to hearing about your future trips.

Keep enjoying yourself and carry on posting!

Love Mum and Dad xxx

Emma said...

Hey I like your hat! You look quite dapper having had a shave and all!!!