Tuesday, January 16, 2007

99%

Christa bought me a present this weekend. We'd seen some chocolate in a convenience store Japan that was 99% cocoa (95% cocoa solids and 4% cocoa butter to be precise) which I didn't buy at the time, assuming it to be commonplace. Then we never found it again and I always slightly regretted not trying it at the time. Christa came across a bar on Saturday while visiting friends down in Chungju and remembering my sorrow, bought a bar from me. I guess it tastes just as delicious as you would imagine. Which is probably to say, not at all. I'm not sure what the other 1% is, possibly just some glue to hold the rest of it, as rather as melt in the mouth, it crumbled. It was powdery, and acrid, and left a bitter aftertaste in the back of the throat that could only be washed away with a large glass of milk. Truely, I don't know why they would make this. Maybe for cooking, as it's really not that different from cocoa powder anyway, which would surely be a lot cheaper. I love plain chocolate by the way, but I think 85% will be the threshold from now on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job I sent you a goodie bag then Ryan. Don't eat it all at once! Enjoy!