Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Korean Lessons

I've had my first few Korean lessons now, and am being a complete geek about it. The lessons are really fun, and so I'm always doing extra study in my own time. I'm doing it along with Christa, who must be one of the most competitive people here: she doesn't like that I'm always reading ahead at all! We keep quizzing each other whenever we're out and about, and trying out little phrases on the kids (though we're not supposed to - rule number 1 on site is supposed to be 'NO KOREAN!' but it's good practice). So far our conversational repertoire is pretty much limited to 'what is your name?', 'what country are you from?', 'what do you do?', 'and what is this?'* but it's a start. *'이름 이 뭐예요?', '어느 나라 사람이에요?', '무슨 일 해요?', '그에 뭐예요?' It took me like 10 minutes to type that out in Hangul (the much-celebrated Korean writing system (they even get a national holiday out of it!)), and it now occurs to me that you may well not be able to read it anyway because of the Windows encoding that you may need. Dang. And then, of course, you not gonna be able to read it anyway...

No comments: