Monday, July 31, 2006

Why I resorted to crime in South Korea

Because we are still without laundry facilities, I’ve had to use the same bed sheets for a month now, which would be bad anyway, but with the humidity here, it's intolerable. The school has been running a free laundry service, but it’s a three day turn-around, so impractical for such things as bedding and towels. Our case for teachers getting clean sheets when the kids do was thrown out: we were told we should just buy new sheets, but of course we haven't been paid yet. Yesterday, we saw huge piles of sheets being stockpiled in some unoccupied apartments near us, but we resisted temptation as Erin had guaranteed us that the laundry would be operational today so we could’ve washed our own; since it isn’t, we went for plan B. On our way back from dinner we noticed the porters carrying the sheets out again. Without time to think, I went straight in while nobody was looking, grabbed a pile and ran straight back to our building with my spoils. They must've seen me running out, I'm just hoping they have as hard a time telling us apart as we do them.

Anyway, it turns out that this is where the sheets are kept prior to them being sent to the laundry service. So, me and Emma are now up one soiled sheet each, and one extra under-blanket, which we didn't need but in my rush I mistook for a quilt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

U mukky bugga i wa cheerin u on for nickin some sheet then i wa creased wen they were dirty ones so if u commit the crime then u shud do the time hahahahah tina xx

Anonymous said...

Shame on you Ryan, nicking dirty sheets! Make sure they're clean ones next time. Best laugh we we had in ages. Probably not so funny at your end, you must be pretty desperate by now!