Thursday, November 09, 2006

Bath House

One of the "most do" things in Korea must be a visit to a bath house. I've never got around to it before now, for various reasons, but tonight I finally did. Since we only have a shower in our apartments, I was really looking forward to a nice soak in a bath for a change. The last time I did was when I went to the water park with Katie, and nice as that was, it wasn't very relaxing as there were so many people around. I think most of Korea's bath houses are variations on a theme: this one had four hot jacuzzis and spas (since I still don't know much Korea I couldn't really tell you the difference), two cold baths (which I was strangely drawn to, although the colder of the two was near-ice and actually not too pleasant) and two saunas, one wet and one dry (the latter being hotter, and my favourite of the two). I think there were other things on different floors of the building too, but we didn't have time. "We" is me and Christa, but I didn't actually see that much of her in the baths. Because of course the men and women are segregated as soon as you enter. Why? Because you have to do all this naked, did I not mention? I had been a little nervous beforehand (and yes, this may well be one of the 'various reasons' I hadn't been before), but honestly, once you're naked, the only weird thing is just how quickly you get used to it. I'm naked, you're naked, so what? There was one slightly awkward moment when another guy came and joined me in the sauna - are you supposed to acknowledge each other? Make small talk? I stared at the ceiling. Anyhow, it was all very relaxing and I shall certainly be back...

1 comment:

Emma said...

Hmmm, I'm still glad I didn't go with you! I'll be happy being naked by myself in my own bath when I get home!