Saturday, November 25, 2006

She's gone...

Though I suppose I should say she's on her way - Emma's flight took off about three and a half hours ago, but she won't be landing until...well, to save the usual time zone confusion, she won't be landing for another eight hours or so. Rather her than me - we were so bored last time, but to be doing it alone is a bit daunting. She has sudoku though, so should be okay. Due to the timing of her final paycheck, Emma had to draw out and exchange her won at Incheon Airport. The largest South Korean banknote is only 10,000 won (about a fiver) so the withdrawal was an inch-thick, but we were still more excited by the post-exchange currency: For those not so lucky as to have any fifties lying around the house, the dude on the reverse is Sir John Houblon, the Bank of England's first governor. She wouldn't even let me have one as a souvenir. Here are my final moments with Emma until next summer: Flight KE 907 to London. Nearly ended up costing quite a bit more than expected - the baggage allowance is 20kg per bag, and Emma's main suitcase was a whopping 32kg! The lady on the check in desk said initially that the first 5kg that were excess were gratis, but that still left 7kg at about £12 per kg. Eventually, she relented and Emma was only charged for 3kg, thank goodness... Alone, after a much needed bite to eat at Lotteria, and a quick wander around the airport shops, I took myself off to the 'Panorama Lounge' to try and see the plane taking off... It was a bit of a swanky place actually, and the waiter hovering by my table implied I should probably but something. It cost 9000 won for an orange juice, so I picked the cheapest thing on the menu, which happily was a piece of blueberry chocolate cake for a mere 5000 won (more than enough for a full blown meal anywhere else). From my vantage point I could see seven or eight Korean Air planes waiting to go, so I decided to just wait for the first one to go after 1:15pm (Emma's departure time) and call that hers. After dragging out the consumption of my three-bite slice of cake to an excruciating twenty five minutes, one of the planes finally decided to move. I couldn't see any runway from the restaurant, so I just watched until it had taxied out of sight and I left. And home I came, all by myself. Tired as hell now - we had to leave SEV at 8:30am this morning, which I know is not that early really but having been on evening shift for the past three months I'm not used to getting up before 10am! Well. Bye then, Em. I'll miss you! (P.S. Um...now, try not to freak out Emma, but I seem to have your Friends Series 10 eps. 5-8 DVD!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kinda prices are Korean Air? I'm searching for the best direct to seoul option from London.. :)

Pete

Anonymous said...

Oh my god Ryan!!! You need to post that DVD back to me right now!!!
I knew you would miss me really!! :oD

As for Pete - I flew home with Korean Air (www.koreanair.com). I ended up buying a return ticket as it was cheaper than the single. I clicked on a link on the right hand side that said something on the lines of "Internet Deals" and found a cheap return flight there. Hope this helps! :o)