Monday, November 27, 2006

Hard to Swallow

For lunch today, we had fried egg atop kimchified rice (not bad actually), cuttlefish soup, radish kimchi, pasta salad, and a dish which I have come to know as jam-chicken (the true nature of the sauce never being made entirely clear to me). For dinner we had bulgogi (cheap beef stew), rice (with, I'm gonna say, millet), cabbage soup with rice cakes, eggs (of a size comparable with a quail's but who can say) and, sure, kimchi. Fair enough, all standard fair, and all in all, not the worst menu here. However. This week we have a horde of government-sponsored kids in attendance. Actually I think the Bank of Korea might have something to do with it too. Anyway. For reasons that we clearly don't need to know (maybe they're malnourished), these subsidised kids are getting an unprecedented fourth meal every night this week before they go to bed (the other being breakfast which I never get up for). This extra meal - which of course is only for the subsidised kids, and not for the teachers or the kids from families who actually paid for them to come here - tonight comprises of: fajitas, sandwiches (which Koreans just do not eat, like, ever!), an orange, and something - coffee? hot choco? - in a Starbucks cup! They have never given we who may appreciate such food anything remotely like that to eat... And you just know half of it's ending up in the trash.

3 comments:

Crumbs & Confetti said...

Well if I were still there I would be VERY pissed off! Fajitas! I ask you!

Ryan said...

I heard a rumour that they even had fries too!

shawn said...

Oh... my... god!!!! That's not right! I'd trade three meals of that cafeteria slop for one fajita and some fries.

I'm so pissed off for you.