Saturday, August 12, 2006

Almost like being famous

The first batch of kids on the two-week program finished today. It's been quite nice, as they don't usually stick around long enough for us to get to know them at all, whereas I've taught some of these kids three or four times. It's kind of a shame that we don't get the chance to develop any deeper relationships with the kids as we would at a normal school; on the other hand, as a novice teacher, I like the fact that I can't get stuck with any bad first impressions here - the kids aren't around to hold my rookie mistakes against me! I wasn't working tonight, but apparently at the 'Graduation' they played some slushy music - maybe something by Sinatra - and all the kids were reduced to tears - boys as well as girls - at having to say goodbye to all their new friends. Me, Emma and Christa happened to be walking across campus as the children came out of school. It must've taken 2o minutes to battle through the barrage of bodies grabbing at us, and swarming around asking for our signatures and emails. They never email though. I think it's just another competition for them - to see who can collect the most names, shed the most tears, etc. Signing autograph after autograph does do your self esteem the world of good though. And though we pretend like they're being a nuisance when we have to do this, it's so much worse when they walk on by and don't ask you...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE TELL ME THOSE PUPPIES ARE FOR PETS!!
I'll not be able to sleep tonight with the thought of one of those cute babies being bought for someones Sunday roast!!!

Anonymous said...

how foolish am I.. just noticed I've poted this in the wrong place!

Ryan said...

Aah, I was just wondering where that comment had gone! I hope they're for pets, but who knows? Maybe they're selling them now so they can be fattened up in time for winter?